Collecting unclaimed funds

Could you have money waiting for you? Learn about unclaimed money or property from bank accounts, tax refunds, insurance policies or wages and pensions.


You can find your unclaimed money for free. Here’s how:

•  Search in every state where you have lived. Look up each state’s unclaimed property office. You can also try contacting the state treasurer’s office.

•  Search the FDIC database. If your bank or credit union closed, you could have unclaimed deposits. You can also check out the National Credit Union Administration (NCUA) at

•  Current or former VA life insurance holders can check for unclaimed life insurance funds. Go to

•  Look for tax refunds from an FHA-insured mortgage. If you earned income but your wages were below the tax filing requirement, you might have a refund waiting. Go to to check. If you bought mortgage insurance from the Federal Housing Administration (FHA), you might have a refund. Go to

•  Do you have unclaimed back wages or pension money from a past employer? Go to the Workers Owed Wages (WOW) website at You can also check the Pension Benefit Guaranty Corporation at


Notice that these websites include “gov.” They don’t have a “com” or “org.” The “gov” means it’s an official U.S. Government website. You should never have to pay any money to find or claim your unclaimed money. It’s FREE. Watch out for scammers and people who want to charge you for this service.



This website is not meant to substitute for expert medical advice or treatment. Follow your doctor’s or health care provider’s advice if it differs from what is given in this guide.


The American Institute for Preventive Medicine (AIPM) is not responsible for the availability or content of external sites, nor does AIPM endorse them. Also, it is the responsibility of the user to examine the copyright and licensing restrictions of external pages and to secure all necessary permission.


The content on this website is proprietary. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit, or distribute, in any manner, the material on the website without the written permission of AIPM.