Out of reach

Image of child with access to an open prescription bottle.

Print on Demand

Every 10 minutes a young child is taken to the ER because of possible poisoning from swallowing a prescription drug or over-the-counter medicine, say children’s doctors at the University of Michigan’s Mott Children’s Hospital.


One key reason may be that nearly 1 of every 4 grandparents store prescription medicines in easy-access ways, according to the UMich poll on Children’s Health.


Particularly dangerous are the daily-dose boxes that children can open.


Take action: Remind grandparents to move their medicines when grandchildren are visiting. Locked cabinets are safest.

This website is not meant to substitute for expert medical advice or treatment. Follow your doctor’s or health care provider’s advice if it differs from what is given in this guide.


The American Institute for Preventive Medicine (AIPM) is not responsible for the availability or content of external sites, nor does AIPM endorse them. Also, it is the responsibility of the user to examine the copyright and licensing restrictions of external pages and to secure all necessary permission.


The content on this website is proprietary. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit, or distribute, in any manner, the material on the website without the written permission of AIPM.