Here’s a heart healthy comfort food that’s just right for cold weather enjoyment. Making this recipe for someone you care about is also a great way to show some love this Valentine’s Day.
- 4 cups white beans (cooked or low-sodium canned)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 red peppers (chopped)
- 1 large onion (chopped)
- 1 chopped green chili (adjust to taste)
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups low-fat milk
- 1/4 cup chopped, fresh cilantro (flat-leaf parsley)
- 3/4 pounds chicken (cooked and cubed)
- 6 corn tortillas (toasted and cut into 1-inch squares)
- Sauté peppers and onion in olive oil.
- Add green chili, garlic, spices and chicken broth. Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add low-fat milk, cooked beans, and cooked chicken. Allow to thicken before adding cilantro. Heat through.
- Top chili with crisp tortillas before serving.
If using canned white beans, rinse and drain them to lower sodium. You can use any vegetable oil in place of olive oil and fresh parsley in place of fresh cilantro. In place of chili powder, you can use a mix of other spices such as cayenne pepper, cumin, or oregano. In place of oregano, you can use Italian mixed herbs/seasonings, basil, or thyme.
Serves 10. Per serving: Calories: 210; Total fat: 5 g; Saturated fat: 1 g; Sodium: 150 mg; Total carbohydrate: 25 g; Fiber: 5 g; Protein: 18 g
Source: USDA Healthy Eating on a Budget Cookbook