Getting the flu is serious. It causes hundreds of thousands of hospitalizations and thousands of deaths each year. It’s especially dangerous for babies, the elderly and those with health conditions, like heart disease. Here’s why you should say “yes” to getting a flu shot this year and every year:
- You could be protected before the peak of the holiday season. It takes about two weeks to get the full immunity from a flu shot.
- Flu season usually continues until March or April of each year. You could have months of protection by getting the shot now.
- If you do get sick, your illness will probably be much milder.
- No one likes to have a fever, chills, cough, headache, sore throat, body aches, nausea or vomiting. Getting the flu shot now means you reduce your risk of getting all these symptoms from the flu this season.
- As long as the flu keeps spreading, the flu shot can keep you from getting sick.
- By getting a flu shot, you help prevent the flu from spreading to others in the community – at work, in public places and when traveling on planes, buses and trains.